Thursday, September 10, 2015

What does the word “hero” mean to you?

When I hear the word hero, I think of the people who protect you. It could range from your parents, to your siblings, a police officer, firefighters, and even more important the military forces. My family heroes are my brother and sister. My brother, Mike, he is my hero in many ways. He is 18 years older than me and he moved out of the house when I was very young. He always wanted a big family and sure enough he has that. My brother has 8 kids; Leah, Braxton, Boo, Jarome, Eric, Alexis and two more from his marriage to his wife, Mary. He is my hero for many reasons, but the most important one is that he has never once abandoned his children, even when times get real tough. My brother is an amazing worker, he always strives for the best and will never settle for anything else. My second hero in the family is my sister. My sister, Sandy, she is also many years older than me. To be exact is 20 years, 1 month, and 1 day. She is more like a second mom to me, and at times I can’t stand her for it, but then at the same time I love her for it. She is very similar to my brother, and she has 5 kids; Devin, Payton, Eli, B, and Lily. Her first born, Devin, was actually supposed to be younger than me but when he was born he was a premature. He was born with cerebral palsy. The doctors told my sister that he would not live to be no older than a few months, and was only the size of a coke can when he was born. Well today he is still out and about rolling around, in his wheelchair. His birthday is soon, and he will be turning 20. So you can image how big a 20 year old is that is in a wheelchair. (he weighs about 120) If any of you all know lifting 120 lbs of dead weight 10-12 times a day, it can be stressful. But she does it all by herself, her husband tries to help some times but she likes to do things herself, to get it done faster. All while taking care of her other kids, and working as a manger 6 days a week. 
Although my family may be my heroes, I believe that the military forces, and our protectors are the greatest heroes. I have great respect for the men and women that risk their lives everyday so that we can do our everyday routines, like me sitting on my bed, typing this blog. The world that we in today is so scary. I am very thankful for each and every person that dedicates their lives to protect america. 

4 comments:

  1. That's a great story! Your brother and sister sound like amazing people! I'm glad your brother stuck around with his family instead of leaving like so many other people do nowadays. And your sister, she really does have it tough, but it's great that she didn't give up hope. It sounds like a rough time, but it sounds like there's already a swing of things.

    I also agree with your statement about our military. They do so much and it's hard to always think about and recognize them, but if it weren't for them, we wouldn't be where we were today. Great post, Kimberly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, and I thought an age gap between my brothers (6 and 8 years) was large. But seriously, your siblings sound like they are pretty amazing people. That also in general sounds like a huge family between them, family reunion type things must get hectic. Being able to sustain that amount of children is very admirable and I could not imagine having anywhere near that many kids of my own (which is VERY far away for me). Its awesome that Devin persevered through those staggering odds to survive and thrive today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a wonderful story and your brother and sister sound like great people. I agree with what you said about our military, its full of wonderful people that we don't always recognize properly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My son and his wife are in the US Navy, and I have the utmost respect for the service they give all of us. They are heroes.

    ReplyDelete